- The European Commission launched a public consultation on the reform of VAT rates (December).
- The Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) of the European Parliament published its draft report on the proposal for a Regulation on geo-blocking (December)
- The Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) of the European Parliament published its opinion on the revised proposal for a directive on Audiovisual media services (AVMS) (December).
- The European Commission undertook a study aimed at learning more about the business-to-business (B2B) relations between online platforms and businesses active on these platforms (December).
- The Committee on Legal Affairs of the European Parliament held on 29 November a public hearing on the copyright directive proposal and especially the question of the so-called "value gap" (November)
- MEP Therese Comodini Cachia from the EPP Group was appointed Rapporteur on the copyright directive proposal by the Committee on Legal Affairs in the European Parliament (October).
- The European Commission launched a public consultation on the functioning of certain procedural and jurisdictional aspects of EU merger control (October).
- The European Commission published the full decision on the acquisition of sole control over Sony/ATV by Sony Corporation of America (October).
- The European Commission published a Preliminary Report on the e-commerce sector inquiry setting out its initial findings (September).
- The European Commission adopted on 14 September 2016 a set of initiatives and legislative proposals on internet connectivity. (September)
- The European Commission published its proposal for a Directive on copyright. (September)
- The European Commission concluded that Ireland granted undue tax benefits of up to €13 billion to Apple (August).
- The European Commission approved the acquisition of sole control over Sony/ATV by Sony Corporation of America. (August)
- The call for expression of interest for the EC loan guarantee instrument for cultural and creative SMEs was published. (July)
- EU Court ruled that the copyright directive precludes private copying compensation from being financed by a budgetary scheme such as that established in Spain. (June)
- The European Commission presented its e-commerce package, as well as a Communication on online platforms and a revised proposal for the Audiovisual Media Services Directive. (May)
- The European Commission sent Google a Statement of Objections regarding a possible abuse of Android's dominant position. (April)
- The European Commission held its biannual Culture Forum. (April)
- The European Commission launched a consultation on the review of the e-Privacy Directive. (April)
- The Commissioners discussed geoblocking and online platforms in Strasbourg. (April)
- The European Commission launched a consultation on neighbouring rights for publishers and a so-called ‘panorama’ exception. (March)
- The EU Court ruled that compensation for material damage from IP infringement did not exclude compensation for moral prejudice. (March)
- MEP Cavada was appointed Rapporteur on the EC proposal for a regulation on the portability of online content services. (March)
- The European Commission and Parliament held an exchange of views on the EC loan guarantee facility for cultural and creative SMEs. (March)
- The Council agreed its stance on the exchange of tax-related information on multinationals. (March)
- The European Commission published the first results of its consultation internet speed and quality. (March)
- The EU Intellectual Property Office presented the work of the European Observatory on infringements of IPR to the Parliament. (February)
- The European Commission opened a consultation on double taxation dispute resolution mechanisms. (February)
- The European Commission held its Digital4EU stakeholder forum. (February)
- The European Commission launched the second phase of the “New Narrative For Europe” debates. (February)
- The European Commission presented its anti tax avoidance package. (January)
- The European Commission published the first partial results of its consultation on platforms and online intermediaries. (January)
- The European Commission held the annual European Border Breaker Awards at Eurosonic in Groningen. (January)
- The European Parliament adopted its Resolution on the Digital Single Market. (January)
- The Netherlands took over the Presidency of the Council of the EU. (January)
All latest press
Helen Smith is in Larry Leblanc's "In The Hot Seat" on Celebrity Access to discuss IMPALA's key issues for 2020: Tencent and UMG, copyright, Brexit, IMPALA's upcoming 20th birthday and much more.