- The European Commission launched a public consultation on the reform of VAT rates (December).
- The Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) of the European Parliament published its draft report on the proposal for a Regulation on geo-blocking (December)
- The Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) of the European Parliament published its opinion on the revised proposal for a directive on Audiovisual media services (AVMS) (December).
- The European Commission undertook a study aimed at learning more about the business-to-business (B2B) relations between online platforms and businesses active on these platforms (December).
- The Committee on Legal Affairs of the European Parliament held on 29 November a public hearing on the copyright directive proposal and especially the question of the so-called "value gap" (November)
- MEP Therese Comodini Cachia from the EPP Group was appointed Rapporteur on the copyright directive proposal by the Committee on Legal Affairs in the European Parliament (October).
- The European Commission launched a public consultation on the functioning of certain procedural and jurisdictional aspects of EU merger control (October).
- The European Commission published the full decision on the acquisition of sole control over Sony/ATV by Sony Corporation of America (October).
- The European Commission published a Preliminary Report on the e-commerce sector inquiry setting out its initial findings (September).
- The European Commission adopted on 14 September 2016 a set of initiatives and legislative proposals on internet connectivity. (September)
- The European Commission published its proposal for a Directive on copyright. (September)
- The European Commission concluded that Ireland granted undue tax benefits of up to €13 billion to Apple (August).
- The European Commission approved the acquisition of sole control over Sony/ATV by Sony Corporation of America. (August)
- The call for expression of interest for the EC loan guarantee instrument for cultural and creative SMEs was published. (July)
- EU Court ruled that the copyright directive precludes private copying compensation from being financed by a budgetary scheme such as that established in Spain. (June)
- The European Commission presented its e-commerce package, as well as a Communication on online platforms and a revised proposal for the Audiovisual Media Services Directive. (May)
- The European Commission sent Google a Statement of Objections regarding a possible abuse of Android's dominant position. (April)
- The European Commission held its biannual Culture Forum. (April)
- The European Commission launched a consultation on the review of the e-Privacy Directive. (April)
- The Commissioners discussed geoblocking and online platforms in Strasbourg. (April)
- The European Commission launched a consultation on neighbouring rights for publishers and a so-called ‘panorama’ exception. (March)
- The EU Court ruled that compensation for material damage from IP infringement did not exclude compensation for moral prejudice. (March)
- MEP Cavada was appointed Rapporteur on the EC proposal for a regulation on the portability of online content services. (March)
- The European Commission and Parliament held an exchange of views on the EC loan guarantee facility for cultural and creative SMEs. (March)
- The Council agreed its stance on the exchange of tax-related information on multinationals. (March)
- The European Commission published the first results of its consultation internet speed and quality. (March)
- The EU Intellectual Property Office presented the work of the European Observatory on infringements of IPR to the Parliament. (February)
- The European Commission opened a consultation on double taxation dispute resolution mechanisms. (February)
- The European Commission held its Digital4EU stakeholder forum. (February)
- The European Commission launched the second phase of the “New Narrative For Europe” debates. (February)
- The European Commission presented its anti tax avoidance package. (January)
- The European Commission published the first partial results of its consultation on platforms and online intermediaries. (January)
- The European Commission held the annual European Border Breaker Awards at Eurosonic in Groningen. (January)
- The European Parliament adopted its Resolution on the Digital Single Market. (January)
- The Netherlands took over the Presidency of the Council of the EU. (January)
All latest press
Originally published in the Financial Times