IMPALA enables the independents to leverage their collective strength with credibility and experience.
IMPALA’s actions include:
- Raising awareness and advocating for strong and fair copyright, proper remuneration and freedom of expression.
- Promoting a distortion-free Digital Single Market by addressing the “value gap” caused by abuse of “safe harbour” rules.
- Campaigning for better access for independent music to online platforms, radio, retail, TV and other media.
- Putting the spotlight on innovative business models in the independent sector
- Working with independents in the Balkans to launch new structure to build capacity locally, growing online and offline opportunities.
- Advocating for transparency and fairness with artists – 2/3 of signatories of WIN’s Fair Digital Deals Declaration are European.
- Calling for new “rules of engagement” online – data protection, privacy, taxation, non-discrimination rules for dominant players.
- Encouraging “follow the money” to tackle mass infringing sites.
- Revisiting the anonymity/accountability equation for a dynamic & safe digital environment for all.
- Seeking to stimulate competition and consumer choice through new antitrust rules specific to culture.
- Taking action against concentration and other abuses.
- Promoting innovative commercial tools such as Merlin, the first global digital rights agency for independents.
- Implementing IMPALA’s Collecting Society Code of Conduct.
- Seeking tax credits, loan guarantees, new revenue sharing mechanisms, and proper valuation of copyright assets.
- Campaigning for reduced VAT on music, plus an end to discrimination between film & music support programmes.
- Delivering more & better choice for artists and music fans.
- Promoting culture as distinct to other goods and services, mapping and measuring the sectors adequately.
- Levelling the playing field for all cultural SMEs.
- Promoting the UNESCO Convention on cultural diversity.
- WIPO observer and member of UNESCO’s Global Alliance.
You can find out more about IMPALA’s milestones here.
To read about IMPALA's track record in merger cases, click here.